Thursday 3 October 2013

Local landmarks, local worthies and the gentle use of symbols






Hawkey hall is where the NHS Blood and Transfusion service set up every few months to feed the national blood bank. We go and watch Panto every year in Hawkey Hall. It's very popular for lavish Asian weddings. As I was lying on my Aston Martin designed donation chair it struck me that there were several pictures of Churchill glowering benignly down at me. Living here you get used to the man peering at you. He was the MP. He was PM when we won the war. There's a bronze statue on the Green. There's a carved likeness on the wooden sign. He certainly knew how to place himself and was acutely aware of the power of  image and turned himself into an image of power. Like Kate Moss Winnie gave good face.
I shall potter about and seek his images.

No comments:

Post a Comment